Mikio Ishimaru founded Ishimaru & Associates after extensive engineering and in-house legal experiences. His eight years of engineering and management experience at Rockwell International includes design, budgeting, scheduling, and execution of large engineering projects. His forty years of legal experience include being General and Patent Attorney for John Deere, Division General and Patent Counsel for Schlumberger Ltd., Chief Patent Counsel for Fluke Instrument, Associate General Counsel and Director of Technology Law for Advanced Micro Devices, and Managing Attorney of Ishimaru & Associates LLP. He is licensed in California, Illinois, Washington, and is federally licensed as a US Patent Attorney.
Mikio has managed numerous law suits including patent, trademark, copyright, and product liability suits. Mikio has developed strategies, and negotiated and written numerous contracts including a multi-billion dollar, world-wide joint venture approved by the US, Europe, and Japan.
- Association of Corporate Patent Counsel: “Building a Technology Law Operation”
- Licensing Executives Society: “Doing Business with Japanese Companies”
- Electronic & Software Patents-Book Contributor-Bureau of National Affairs, Wash. DC
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Assn.: “The Semiconductor Wars, AMD v Intel”
- Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers; Mini/Micro: “Technology & Software Licensing”
- Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers; Computer: “Protecting Hardware & Software”
- Computer Law Conference (Georgia Institute of Technology): “High Tech Personnel Problems”
- Computer Law Course (Seattle University): “Negotiating Computer Contracts”
- American Bar Association: Contributor to the American Bar Association Software Forms Book
- Peoples Republic of China, Special Delegation Lecturer: “International Technology Contracts”
Licensing Executives Society, Certified Licensing Professional
California State Bar Assn; US District Bar Assn, Northern District of California Bar Assn
Certified Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Bar Association
Washington State Bar Assn; US District Bar Assn; Western Dist. of Washington Bar Assn
US Patent & Trademark Office Bar Assn, Reg. No. 27,449
American Bar Assn.
Illinois State Bar Assn; US District Bar Assn, Northern Dist. of Illinois Bar Assn
Juris Doctor: Illinois Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering: University of Illinois
Allan, who is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English, assists U.S. companies doing business in mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong with compliance with law and administrative applications. Before joining Ishimaru & Associates to head the International Trade & Investment Group, he served as a foreign legal consultant with a local Taiwan firm, an associate with Baker & McKenzie’s New York and Beijing offices, and the partner heading Baker & McKenzie’s China Desk in California’s Silicon Valley.
For the past 20 years, Allan has negotiated and documented joint ventures, acquisitions and divestments in China and related legal disputes on behalf of major Fortune 500 companies, as well as assisting start-up investors in China. He also advises on technology development and sales, distribution agreements, Internet sales/website operations, posting employees to China, and related Chinese tax consequences in each of these areas.
- Bloomberg/BNA/CITE Annual China Tax Conference: “Update on Legal and Tax Aspects of using IP in China”
- Daily Journal: “Entering China: Personnel Options and Tax Risks”
- Baker & McKenzie Presentation: “China M&A: Opportunities in the Middle Kingdom”
- Daily Journal: “Unexpected Reach of Circular 698-Chinese Tax on Non-Chinese Transfers”
- Daily Journal: “Stormy Weather Ahead for Foreign Companies in China?”
- The Computer and Internet Lawyer: “Internet Business Law in China for U.S. Companies”
- Daily Journal: “Crucial Strategies to Protect Intellectual Property in China”
- China Business Review: “New Ways Out for Venture Capital Investors in China”
- Practicing Law Institute: “Distribution, Retailing and Advertising After China’s Accession to the WTO”
California State Bar Assn: Member
New York State Bar Assn: Member
Washington State Bar Assn: Member
American Bar Association: Member
Columbia University: LL.M.
Lewis & Clark Law School: J.D.
The Evergreen State College: B.A.
Other Attorneys and Staff
Ishimaru & Associates currently comprises patent attorneys, general attorneys, patent agents, engineers, and scientists with a full support staff of paralegals and support administrators. Most of our attorneys have working experience prior to practicing law. These experiences include hardware, software, information technology, biology, and chemical engineering design and/or management.